Thursday, May 24, 2012

Wind on the Mountain


If you shield the mountain from the windstorms, you'll never see the beauty of the carvings. ~Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

This year on 12/12/12 I will turn 50! Then the Mayan calendar ends on 12/21. How cool is that for a birthday number line up, all 1's and 2's! So today when I was combing my hair I saw a grey hair and it made me smile. I thought to myself "At nearly 50 I deserve that grey hair. Heck I worked hard for it!"  

I am really looking forward to my 50's. I am so much better equipped for life than I was at any other point in my life. I am more at ease with myself and more tolerant of what I perceive to be my short comings. I have more patience and I am more tolerant, although I admit to still being a work in progress ;~). The Wind is still carving me and shaping me into the person that God had in mind when he created me. He always knew I was perfect, it has just taken Him a while to convince me of that fact. So when the winds in my life blew hard  and I wondered why He did not shield me, I now understand that He left just enough of me exposed so that I could be shaped into the woman I am today. There are plenty of times I may have disagreed with what I am about to say, but, I am grateful for that exposure. It has smoothed out my rough edges and I like the woman I am turning out to be, she feels more like an old friend than something that needs to be fixed, changed or made right. 

In John Mayers song "In Repair"  the final verse says:
"And now I'm walking in a park
All of the birds they dance below me
Maybe when things turn green again
It will be good to say you know me"



For most of my life I have felt that I was "In Repair" but this morning as I was sung awake with birdsong, surrounded by Spring's intense cloak of green, and a single well earned grey hair made it's appearance, just months before my 50th birthday, I am thinking, "This will be a good time to say you know me".


No comments:

Post a Comment