Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The History of Silk and Some Amazing Silk Art on TAFA



Check out the TAFA Website: http://www.tafalist.com/s-silk
There is an amazing article on the history of silk on the TAFA (Textile and Fiber Art List)  website. My silk painting (along with the work of other very talented silk artists) is featured in the article which explains the fasinating history of silk. Read about the silk road, sweat shops, fair trade and see the incredible works of art created with silk by contemporary artists, including me!
Adventures on the Silk Road
If the story of cotton is sung out in tears and lament, the story of silk makes for epic movies of conquest and desire. As a fiber, silk's resilience, strength, luminosity and sheen made it a coveted material in long times past and continues to hold us like a magnet in today's fashion industry, even with our short attention span. I don't think I knew what a time consuming and fragile operation it was to work with the silk worms until I read one of Pearl S. Buck's novels. I think it was in The Good EarthThe care of the mulberry bushes, which feed the worms, was a big part of the story. As my passion for textiles increased, stories of the Silk Road, also captivated my interest. The route between China and Europe first started  through the desire to conquer the unknown territories lying west of the Han dynasty: Click Here to read more and see the silk art.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this, Linda! And, I am so glad that you liked it. It sure is a fascinating story and I just love how TAFA members use silk in so many ways!

    I loved your work from the moment I saw it and really admire how hard you work to keep at it. Each of you on TAFA helps make this world a more beautiful place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet message Rachel. Very kind of you, and thank you for being such a wonderful guide and educator in all matters of TAFA ;~)

      Delete