Thursday, June 27, 2013

Scrunch Dyeing with Procion Mx Dyes

I did some more scrunch dyeing yesterday on a skirt and I love the results. I presoaked the rayon, (cellulose fiber), skirt in soda ash a few days ago so it was dried out, then sprayed it with water to dampen it a little before I scrunched it.  The colors I used were Sage Green, Lapis, and Blue Gray (From Dharma Trading).  I mixed up dye concentrate using 2tsp dye powder to one cup chemical water (water and urea). I scrunched the skirt into the "brain" pattern and tied it with string. I applied the dyes colors in a diluted form, I think I diluted the concentrate about 1/2 and 1/2 with chemical water, I forgot to write down the exact dilution rate.

 Bits of linen and cotton that I soda soaked (soaked in soda ash solution) 
to use as dye samples for my dye book

Below is a rayon shell that I dyed with the same colors but with a much more diluted solution

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Dye Mixing Box For Procion Powdered Dyes

 This is the dye mixing box I use to mix my powdered dyes. It is made from a simple plastic bin with a lid. I cut 2 holes in it for my arms and covered the edges with duct tape to soften the sharp edges. 

 I line the bottom and the back with cotton fabric and I spray it with water to dampen it so that it will catch any airborne dye powder. The fabric can be removed and washed between uses so that the dye powder does not dry out and become airborne once again.

 Once the dye powder has been mixed with the water and your spoons have been rinsed, so there is no residual dye powder on them,  it is safe to open the box

 This is a rayon shell that I am scrunch dyeing. 
The cups contain scraps of sample fabric for my dye book

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Eco Dyed Neutrals

Below are some photos of some neutrals that came out of my last batch of Eco dyeing. The rusty tin can caused the blacks and grays and in this case the leaves acted as more of a resist. I actually liked these more than the leaf prints I posted yesterday.

All images are copyrighted and may not be used without permission © L.Marcille

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Nature Dyed/Eco Dyed Silk Linen & Cotton with Iron, Leaves & Tannin

Here are the results of the bundles I posted the other day. They photographed slightly darker than they are in reality.  For more info on how it was done see my previous post.

Monday, June 17, 2013

Eco Dye, Rust Dye, & Nature Printing

I have been collecting dyeing materials on my walks in the woods. Lichen, oak, strawberry, maple and raspberry leaves. As well as oak galls and acorns

 Oak galls on the left (After the wasps have moved out) and acorns on the right

 Lichen, oak, strawberry, maple, fern and raspberry leaves. In the cups in back oak galls and acorns. Getting ready to roll the bundle around a rusty can I found in the woods

Wrapping another bundle around a rusty can

Doing a Shibori wrap with silk oak galls and acorns 

 The first wrapped can

Bundles all wrapped

  Bundles in the pot with oak galls and acorns. I covered with water and simmered on and of or 2 days

I will post some of the results over the next couple of days