Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sewing a Curved Hem on Layered Shirt


I sewed my first curved hem on a layered shirt I am making and I am very pleased with the results so I thought I would share it. 

Because this is a layered shirt I needed to hem the layers before I sewed the side seams. 

I had already finished the edges of each piece with a zigzag stitch, so for the hem I went back in and did a straight stitch 1/4 inch in from the edge.

I folded the fabric on the stitched line and pressed it as I folded

Pressing the first fold on the stitched line 1/4 inch from the edge

This shot shows the first fold pressed all the way across the hem length

I then folded turned the first fold under another 1/4 inch and pressed again

I opened up the 2nd pressed fold here just to show how it was folded and pressed. 

Second 1/4" fold all pressed

I then topstitched next to the outer edge of the fold

Here is a look at the top and the bottom after being topstitched. Nice and neat.

I repeated the same process of stitching, folding, pressing and folding/pressing again on the other layer of the shirt. 

Showing front and backside after topstitching

Both layers after hemming



No comments:

Post a Comment