Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Building a Homemade Silk Steamer (For Steamset Dyes on Silk)

Don has built me a new silk steamer for the custom project I am working on. He does such a nice job on the projects he does for me and has such an eye for detail that I thought I would share the process. I still need to take some photos of the last few steps in the process. For now I am just going to upload the photos I have already taken, I will add text to the photos later.

You can click on the photos to enlarge them.










4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this is great! Do you think you'll get the other pix up or be able to write plans?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just what I had imagined building for myself. But, there isn't any information here regarding how you cap this off? This is an important part of the steamers function, since it must allow the condensing steam to flow between the inner and outer cylinders (down the side of the exterior steamer) and back into the pot without allowing any dripping onto the silk. All along the steam is rising from the canning pot up through the silk. This is where I've had some difficulty in completing this project. Can you help?
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These steamers are always capped off with a stack of newspapers covered by a large folded up towel. Over that you place the lid. Works perfectly.

      Delete