Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Grateful for the Right to Vote!


I am feeling grateful today that I live in a country where I am allowed to vote for whomever I choose and that I don't live in a country where I am not allowed to vote solely because I am a woman.  I am also grateful to all who laid down their lives protecting this right for me.

* Brunei - No suffrage for women. Neither men nor women have had the right to vote or to stand for election since 1962 because the country is governed by an absolute monarchy.

 * Saudi Arabia - No suffrage for women. The first local elections ever held in the country occurred in 2005. Women were not given the right to vote or to stand for election.

 * Bhutan - One vote per house. Although this applies to both men and women, in practice it currently prevents many more women from voting than men. If the new proposed constitution is voted and ratified, then no restrictions will apply by 2008.

 * Lebanon - Partial suffrage. Proof of elementary education is required for women but not for men. Voting is compulsory for men but optional for women.

 * Vatican City - No suffrage for women; while most men in the Vatican also lack the vote, all persons with suffrage in Papal conclaves (the Cardinals) are male.

See further notes here: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_countries_do_not_let_women_vote

No comments:

Post a Comment